November 19, 2010

What I'm Learning...






First - Can we get a "hip hip" that today is Friday?  Hallelujah!

Second - I hope everyone gets a chance to read some of the Friend Friday posts that Katy of Modly Chic sponsors.  A bunch of bloggers around the blog-o-sphere contribute their thoughts on 5 questions that she generates each week and it always generates some interesting and intelligent conversations and thoughts. Well worth the read.

Third - As part of the 30 for 30 challenge, Kendi is doing a series called "Why I Remix" in which a different blogger is highlighted and explains why they are remixing.  This has generated and percolated some thoughts of my own on this very topic - except, I need to call it what I'm learning.

By limiting my entire wardrobe to just 30 items, I have found that instead of desiring the latest offerings on "sale" at J.Crew, I'm desiring the freedom to work within the confines of my own closet.  I'm finding that in trying to figure out an outfit for my 10 year high school reunion reading different style magazines for inspiration, I'm thinking more about items that are in my own closet than what I can buy to achieve that "look" I'm putting together in my head.  I also am finding that it forcing me to find my "style" voice more than a fashion voice.  It is helping me understand all those quotes that talk about how fashion is fleeting but style remains forever (or something along those lines), because I am forced to think about how I am wearing these items rather than what items I'm wearing (if that makes sense).

And I'm learning that my bank account likes a break once in while :).  I think that I like to shop way too much to forever give it up, but this is definitely teaching me that I don't need to shop as often as I do.  And that sometimes discipline is good for both growing as a person and further developing my own sense of style.  Controlling that compulsion is definitely hard but I've made it this far...and intend to make it through to the end :).

Anyway - enough deep thoughts! Time to go enjoy the weekend! Happy Friday!

Blazer, Sweater, T-Shirt - J.Crew
Skirt - Target
Pumps - Banana Republic
Belt - Ross
Flower Pin - The Limited

18 comments:

Frances Joy said...

Love this post. I am so with you on the style vs. fashion thing - there is something so satisfying about being able to pull something out of a magazine out of your own closet. So much win.

Love that skirt and your layering, too.

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit - great remixing.
My bank balance also thanks me for being a remixer as does my husband!

Christina said...

You are so right. I have been really working hard on that for the past year. You know that I rewear things on my blog all the time. I really want to share with everyone that you can reinvent something. You can wear the same sweater within the same week if you really want because who is going to care. The most important person when it comes to your style is you. Who cares what is the latest trend. Well. I have ranted, but I agree with you 100%. I love your outfit. You have a great blog here.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much guys - it's so fun getting to learn/discover the same lessons together :)

Linley said...

love this look! never would have thought to combine this patter and color combo - but it works and looks amazing!!

Unknown said...

love hearing how the 30 for 30 is going for ya :) I'm obbsessseeddd with the green blazer with the zebra skirt! just gorgeous. good luck with the rest of the challenge!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I have seen leopard print everywhere, but this is such a welcome and cool change with zebra print. I really like the dark lime blazer and skirt together!! Great Remix! :)

Annie said...

Great thoughts on the 30x30, and this outfit is one of my favorites so far!

. said...

I am learning that you are awesome and that I want every item of clothing that you own and I want you to dress me every morning!!! (Not in a creepy weird way, just polyvore for me daily, please?) :D

Mandy said...

Very cute layering in this look. I definitely agree with all of your reasons for remixing. I've used to shop way way too much, and I'm learning to be more creative with what I have rather than constantly needed to buy clothes. I think you're doing great so far!

Flashes of Style said...

loove the blazer! <3

Linda said...

This is a great remix. I wouldn't know what to do with that skirt, but clearly you do. This is a wonderful outfit!
The Auspicious Life

Anonymous said...

Yay, the green blazer is back :D And I really like that flower on the belt. What a sweet touch.
Also I must say I agree on your opinion about the challenge. It's a good way to teach ourselves to work with what we got creating our own style.

Chelsea Lane said...

love hearing how the 30 for 30 is going for ya :) I'm obbsessseeddd with the green blazer with the zebra skirt! just gorgeous. good luck with the rest of the challenge!

xoxo

Frances Joy said...

Love this post. I am so with you on the style vs. fashion thing - there is something so satisfying about being able to pull something out of a magazine out of your own closet. So much win.

Love that skirt and your layering, too.

Frances Joy said...

Love this post. I am so with you on the style vs. fashion thing - there is something so satisfying about being able to pull something out of a magazine out of your own closet. So much win.

Love that skirt and your layering, too.

annie said...

Great thoughts on the 30x30, and this outfit is one of my favorites so far!

Lauren said...

Thanks so much guys - it's so fun getting to learn/discover the same lessons together :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style