November 18, 2010

A Certain Je Nais Se Quoi

First attempt - Do not pass Go

Second attempt - Pretty and exactly what I was going for...
Sometimes the look that you have in your head for days doesn't exactly work out in real life.  That is why you end up with attempt #1 at top.  The polka dots were just all kinds of wrong.  It was a bit too cutesy, almost cartoony, and just wasn't working, which was evident once I looked at the photos.  Both my magical mirror and my mirror of truth fooled me into thinking "eehhh, maybe this works??", but the camera never lies.  I still wanted to try the knee-high socks though, so I exchanged the polka dots for plain black, and well, I kind of love it.






This look also wouldn't be the same without the beret/beanie/knit hat. With its added touch, I feel like I'm channeling a Parisian who should be sitting in a cafe in Paris, sipping a cafe a lait with a croissant and watching the people go by.  Too bad I am in fact sitting in a cubby, in small-town Virginia with only bad, burnt office coffee to entice me.

Interestingly enough though, there is a Paris, Virginia not that far away from where I work.  Except there are just a bunch of cows and mountains around there - beautiful scenery, just not the Eiffel Tower.

Happy day before Friday!! Is anyone catching the insane midnight showings of Harry Potter tonight!? :)

Red Dress - Calvin Klein via TJMaxx
TurtleNeck - Gap
Red Pumps - Wet Seal
Belt - J.Crew
Polka Dot Socks - Target
Black Socks - Ross
Hat - H&M
Necklace - Jess LC
Sunnies - Old Navy

13 comments:

Linley said...

love the black and red combo! such a classic look always!

Sarah said...

I really like this look with the black socks. The first were a bit too busy. These ones make the outfit look so much more stylish. Great look!!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

I like the black socks. The outfit looks so sophisticated and fun.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this on you and may have to borrow the idea, if you don't mind. The length of the socks are PERFECT and make your legs look so long!

Hope and the Dress Code

kelseychristiansonwilliams said...

haha! very cute. you look very festive!

Elaine said...

I definitely like the second look better although the first was refreshing with the white as well!

www.clothedmuch.com

Chelsea said...

Loving the outfit! I have the moments too where you have such a great idea but somehow it doesn't look quite as stylish once you put it together... I wore a beret too and it does add such a French flavour to an ensemble!

http://www.maritimeshopaholic.com

Pamela said...

Adorable outfit! Those shoes are all kinds of amazing, especially the cheery color. In keeping with your theme, au revoir!

Call Me Ishmael

. said...

Ok I giggled with glee at the title alone and then when I saw the pics there was just almost TOO much fabulousness going on. SO Parisian. SO chic. So fun!! I MAY just have to steal the knee socks look - we'll see :D

Sarah Larsen said...

I'm lovin that beret and those shoes! owe! owe!

Anonymous said...

I liked the first look and I liked the second look even more. Great outfit :)

Sarah loves it all said...

I'm lovin that beret and those shoes! owe! owe!

Rebecca said...

I like the black socks. The outfit looks so sophisticated and fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style