November 9, 2010

Forgoing the Hunt







So the other day one of my best friends, someone who knows me inside and out, left me a comment that said something like this: "Congrats on doing this challenge!! I'm so proud of you!  But I think the hardest part for you will be the no shopping, not the styling!"

And it's SO true! Friends, I have an addiction - or maybe it's this inner, innate, primal drive that lives inside all of us that drives us to react to good deals.  You see, my dad is a hunter.  Every Friday/Saturday during hunting season, he'll go out and sit in the woods for hours and hours with his bow, waiting for the perfect buck to come his way.  He prepares by going out and placing a tracking camera in the woods, setting up tree stands, tracking, etc, etc.  Well I think this drive for the "perfect" buck translates over into my DNA in the form of the "perfect" dress, or the "perfect" top, or the "perfect" sale...shopping becomes like a hunt, except I'm looking for the best deal.

So when J.Crew, one of my favorite retailers, pops up in my inbox this morning with 40% Off Our Holiday Sale + Free Shipping, during day 2 of my no-shopping remix challenge, I felt like I had to let the perfect buck walk right past me. *sigh*  Discipline my friends, I am learning to be disciplined.

In other news - I really like this outfit. I specifically included this dress and turtleneck and sweater in my 30 for 30 because I had dying to wear this outfit for over a week and didn't want to wait any longer.  That dress my friends is J.Crew and only $30.  It has become a new all-time favorite - I can't wait to remix it these next few weeks!  I also kept accessories pretty minimal - I started out layering and layering a ton of necklaces but then looked in the mirror and took most of them off - it just didn't go with the vibe of the outfit today.

I'm having so much seeing all the other bloggers out there remixing!!  It's definitely a lot of fun to have so many other people out there participating and know that you're a part of it as well!!

Dress, Cardigan - J.Crew
Turtleneck - Gap
Tights - Marshalls
Clogs - TJMaxx
Belt - Ross
Flower Pin - The Limited

14 comments:

Erin said...

I had the same issue when my coat from Anthro that I'd been stalking went on sale this morning! I found starbucks helped with the pain. I love the different textures in your outfit!

Anna said...

Love those tights!!! And nice job on resisting shopping. That would definetly be the hardest part for me. It's especially hard when shopping from your computer is so easy now a days.

Linley said...

love the color combo!! (:

linley.

ClosetConfections said...

Great dress. And I know what you mean about those tempting sale emails. They really know how to tempt you, don't they?

Kendra
http://closetconfections.com

Anonymous said...

things I like most about this outfit... well I love it! You look gorgeous!

Linz said...

Love the dress! I saw it in your 30/30 picks but that wasn't a good representation cuz it's SO much cuter on you! Great outfit!

And you're totally right about the accessories - Coco Chanel used to say to take off the last thing you put on.

Christina said...

Thank you for relating shopping to hunting. It is the perfect comparison, and if any man makes fun of our shopping rituals he will certainly need to reevaluate his hunting habits...or whatever. Haha Love the turtleneck under a dress. I need to try it soon. J.Crew does some pretty interesting layering with turtlenecks that I have admired.

. said...

I got that J Crew email too and I literally growled. Grr, I said. :) But yes, discipline is good!

Super love this outfit btw, you are knocking this challenge out of the park!

Elisabeth said...

The dress over the top is a really fun look. I wish I had dress like that in my 30x30.
xo missioncloset.com

Rebecca said...

That dress is lovely. Affordable J. Crew pieces are too hard to come by!

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

hey! i'm wearing that sweater today too. and i LOVE it.

Rebecca said...

That dress is lovely. Affordable J. Crew pieces are too hard to come by!

stylegenerator said...

things I like most about this outfit... well I love it! You look gorgeous!

Christina said...

Thank you for relating shopping to hunting. It is the perfect comparison, and if any man makes fun of our shopping rituals he will certainly need to reevaluate his hunting habits...or whatever. Haha Love the turtleneck under a dress. I need to try it soon. J.Crew does some pretty interesting layering with turtlenecks that I have admired.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style