October 5, 2010

Day 2 - One Item, One Week (or Paging the Jolly Green Giant)


 So here we are, Day 2 of the One for One Challenge.  I'm either channeling the Jolly Green Giant (ho,ho,ho) or doing a conceptual look, channeling an early fall tree like the one on the right in this picture below...


You let me know which one you think it is. :)


I was originally going in a different direction with this outfit - different sweater, t-shirt, blazer, shoes - different everything, but when I pulled out the green blazer to see if it would work, I started going in a different direction...and this is where I ended up.  I had a little bit of trouble with the shoes, but decided to just stick with the green theme and throw these sparkly things on. I apparently have a lot of green in my closet!


Yesterday was a bit of a rough day for me, in the style world.  The TJMaxx Facebook contest I won? Well they posted larger editions of the photos and I saw some of the comments that people had left on there about my winning outfit. Ouch.  It was hard to read and even harder to not take personally, because I have an extremely hard time with criticism.  Buuuttt, my look was one of the winners, so at least me and the TJMaxx fashion editor thought it was kind of stylish? Yet even in remembering that, it still stings a little.  I forget that just because I try to be a positive voice in the style blog community, not everyone else feels that way and in fact they would rather tear people's looks apart.  That comes with the territory when you post pictures of yourselves for the world wide web to see though.  But for those who feel the need to tear those of us apart who are experimenting with our style, taking risks, and pushing boundaries, I leave you with this quote that my father gave to me eons ago.
"It's not the critic who counts
Nor the man who points out where the strong man stumble,
Nor where the doer of deeds could of done better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena
Whose face is marred by blood, sweat, and dust
Who strives valiantly and knows the great devotions
And who if he fails, at least he fails while doing greatly
So his place will never be with those timid souls who know neither victory
nor defeat." ~ President Theodore Roosevelt
All that to say - if you be dishin', you better be postin'.

 :)

Day 2 = Done.

Blazer, Cardi, Belt - J.Crew
Jeggings, T-shirt - Gap
Shoes, Necklace - Old Navy

13 comments:

Mandy said...

I love the blazer; it looks so velvety and pretty! Unfortunately, the world is full of internet trolls who are able to rip people to shreds online, but would never have the audacity to say anything remotely close to people like that IRL. Either way, it makes us better and stronger! You've got awesome style, and your look was one of the winners :0)

Viktoria said...

Ooh I love the blazer!

People can be so cruel. Why can't everyone be happy for each other? Those meanies were just jealous that you won! Congrats to you!!

Elle Sees said...

i love this! and it's not too much green at all.
and that sucks. haters gonna hate!

blogging??? who came up with this said...

Love the different shades of green on you!!! and don't let those haters get you down...they don't know what they be talkin about. Love the quote!

Das What She Said said...

Great combo! I love unexpected color combinations, like red and pink, which surprisingly can go really well together!

C said...

Sorry you got hateful comments. Those are so hard to deal with. :(

On the upside, I LOVE this outfit. The green layering is inspired!!

Nadine2point0 said...

I love this hue of green! It looks great on you....and ignore the comments from people that are harsh.

dennica pearl said...

you look beautiful!


<3 dennica pearl
- through the eyes of a pearl
- vintage shop

Annie said...

Boo to negative comments! Just ignore them. You post beautiful and creative outfits, but most importantly, they seem to make YOU happy! That's what's important. (Love all the textures and shades of green, by the way!)

Anonymous said...

Love the green blazer, the colour is just perfect.

Sarah said...

I simply LOVE this outfit. The shades are green are so beautiful and just perfect for fall. This is a great layering job as well. Picture perfect look!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Christina said...

Great post. I love the quote. It is so true. So many people don't even have the courage and confidence to do their own blog and be creative so they have to make fun of people who do. Whateva!

Angel said...

I love the green rope belt you have there, very cool simple touch!

Angels Point of View

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style