September 21, 2010

Army + Navy = Fashion?


For some reason yesterday I got in my head that I wanted to try mixing the nautical trend with the utilitarian trend.  I naturally thought of these pants, especially since the color fits perfectly with that look.  And then I thought to top it off with this navy blue blazer and its gold buttons, which to me is kind of reminiscent of the nautical look.  To keep the look basic, I decided to go with a simple grey tank sweater and layer some gold/bronze-y necklaces.  To add a little feminity to the mix, I paired the ensemble with some heels.  The aviators actually add a touch of Air Force to the mix.  My father (a retired Marine and Naval Academy grad) would be so proud :).

On another note - is it just me, or do you feel that naming this trend "military" kind of cheapens exactly what our armed forces do for us?  I don't know, I just have a problem with cutesy designers and stylists going around saying "The military trend is sooooo hot right now".  That is why I try to be consistent and call it utilitarian.  I think it's fine to use the military as a design inspiration for clothing - but naming it military just rankles me.  It somehow - to me- puts an even further distance between us as Americans and the soldiers who are fighting in far-off countries and societies.  I don't know - do you think during World War II, in which many people were called to make sacrifices for the war, they would have had a "military" trend in fashion?

What about you? Do you feel the same way, or does it not bother you?

Blazer, Shoes - Banana Republic
Pants - J.Crew
Tank - TJMaxx
Necklaces - UrbanOutfitters, Target
Sunnies - Target

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I really like that navy pea coat.

To be honest, I haven't put a lot of thought into the military-inspired trend recently. I can certainly see how you or others might be bothered by the trend,, but I don't personally have a problem with the name or the garments, as long as people are respectful or don't wear looks that resemble actual uniforms.

Sarah said...

I really like this look. I love those big buttons on your jacket.

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

@Sarah - Thanks so much!

@Rebecca - Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I like your take on my musing :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That blazer is killer! It looks fabulous on you!

C said...

I love the idea of calling it "utilitarian". I think it better captures the aesthetic, anyway!

Destrehan's Daughter said...

This combination is really nice and the simplicity makes it seem that much more high fashion.

Kristin said...

That blazer is killer! It looks fabulous on you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style