July 6, 2010

Mixing it Up - Florals & Dots

While I am not officially participating in Kendi Everyday's 30 for 30 challenge, I am going to try remixing and being a little bit more creative in my styling to see how it goes.  This is my first attempt!

I actually thought of this outfit a few days ago, but wasn't sure if I would be able to pull it off.  But then Kyla (as usual) over at Blue Collar Catwalk fearlessly managed to mix stripes, zebra pattern, and floral pants yesterday.  And then last week Tania, over at What Would A Nerd Wear, fearlessly mixed a checked pattern and floral skirt.  So I decided that if they can pull that off in their magical ways (and somehow they totally do - it's an amazing skill), I would try my own brand of magic and see if I could pull off some pattern mixing of my own, using florals and polka dots.

This is a little bit of creative closet use because those shoes almost headed into my pile of "too get rid of so that I have more room in my closet".  But when I stopped and looked at them, I noticed that they had a bit of things that I am loving right now and a bit of the things I've seen trending - kitten heels, studded, and wood platform base.  I decided that it would be wise to hang on to these little shoes instead of getting thrown into the pile.

The shirt is also the same shirt as worn yesterday.  I am really loving it and have some ideas of how to work and rework it.  It has a kind of floral 70s retro-vibe about it that I really like.

Here's to exploring and being bold with pattern mixing and remixing!

Shirt - Gap
Dress - Gift
Belt - ShopMamie
Necklace, Shoes - ??
Flower - UrbanOutfitters

9 comments:

Mandy said...

That is such a cute outfit! I think you really nailed the pattern mixing. I have yet to venture there and try it myself....

Unknown said...

@Mandy - Thanks so much! It's definitely an experimental outfit for me!

Estefany @ The Helmet Head said...

Love the combination on this and the previous post!

Elaine said...

Absolutely pretty. Love the pink hues.

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

aw thank you for the shout-out! i love the layering here and the pattern mixing--subtle and perfect!

Christina said...

This turned out really well. I love the different shades of pink

Unknown said...

@Estefany & Elaine - Thanks so much!!

@Tania - Anytime and thanks!

@Christina - Thank you - definitely a kind of branching out for me, and I think it's all the different shades of pink that actually make it work!

20 YORK STREET said...

Love love the florals and dots combo!

Estefany said...

Love the combination on this and the previous post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style