January 10, 2011

On the Wagon





Just an easy, casual Monday look to bring in the new week (ugh, Mondays.  Thank goodness it is almost over and that there is a new season of The Bachelor to redeem the day).  I think I was trying to channel a little bit of Tania, who is the master of classic minimal looks in my book :).

Scrutinizing the outfit, I'm wondering if I should have chosen some different footwear.  But this wasn't a planned outfit - it was a more of a spur of the moment, throw on and get out the door.

Speaking of footwear, a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping with my best friends, I saw this girl wearing the most spectacular pair of boots I had ever seen.  Well, today, in trying to find their replica, I found them.  Too bad they are $700.  I mean, just look at them! Aren't they beautiful?  Note to self - if an item has an Italian sounding name, it will be impossibly expensive.

But speaking of shopping, just in general, I am making it one of my goals to be much more fiscally responsible and intentional about my purchases.  It seems lately that whenever I get an email from J.Crew saying "30% off" or "Free Shipping" or "Jump off this bridge and get 40% off all sale items!" I say, "Just show me the bridge!"  And I don't want to be like that anymore.  If the 30 for 30 remix taught me anything, it's that I have more than enough "pieces" in my closet to wear.  And instead of incessantly adding more and more and more to that closet, it instead needs to be pared down and a better, smarter, wiser shopper mentality needs to be nurtured and maintained.  I think my proudest moment last week was when I loaded up my shopping cart at J.Crew with 4 (beautiful) items that totaled enough to qualify for their free shipping promotion, and then EXITED the browser.  I mean, it does hurt my heart a little to think that those pretty things aren't in my possession, but my bank account needs a rest.  I have a computer that I want buy this year and car that I need to fix and some travels that I want to take (Texas Style Blogger conference anyone? :)).

So when I found a super-cute dress at Ross this weekend for $10, I was uber-excited (there was even a Michael Kors dress there for $20! How I wish it had looked cute enough and fit properly to buy).  And why I hope to participate in one of my fav bloggers, Kyla's new feature over at Blue Collar Catwalk, in which she'll be featuring reader's outfits that are under a $100.  I think it's a great idea for a feature.  I've also noticed that this new mentality has made me into a bit of a treasure hunter, a la Uber-Chic for Cheap, but not as savvy as yet :).  BUT I did find these really cool equestrian-style (my favorite style) boot for $30 at Piperlime.  If you're in the market for cute boots, I hope you snatch them up!! I unfortunately don't need them (but maaaannn, do I want them! :) ).

ANYWAY - Sorry for the uber-long post!! Here's to The Bachelor and snow tomorrow!

Ruffle Top - J.Crew
Black Turtleneck - Banana Republic (i think...)
Jeans - Michael Kors via TJMaxx
Boots - Steve Madden via Piperlime
Belt - Ross
Necklace - Jess LC
Earrings - Turkoyz

17 comments:

Rebekah O'Dell Photography said...

LOL! Before I read your copy here, I saw the boots and exclaimed, "Those look like the boots I wanted that we saw at J.Crew!" :)

Unknown said...

If you only knew how much time I spent today looking for these...I discovered that Hunt Boots, as in foxhunting boots for men, have the "look" of these dream boots :)

And now we also know why the girl was shopping the regular priced J.Crew items at Short Pump Town Center :)

Rebekah O'Dell Photography said...

SO True. It didn't look like she was a scrimper and saver ... are the boys' version of foxhunting boots any cheaper? (and yes, I am AMAZED you found them!)

Mandy said...

This outfit is really cute, and I think the boots looks great with it. Just remember, there is always next time to try it differently :)

One of my goals since I moved out was to be more financially responsible as well particularly where clothing and accessories are concerned despite the fact shopping is one of my favorite hobbies. It's hard, but you nailed exactly what I was thinking with saying you have enough pieces in your closet. Ok, off my soapbox now...

Anonymous said...

I remember my mother always asking me why on earth I wear a long sleeve t-shirt under a short sleeve t-shirt. Because that looks nice, mom! :D What a shame I never thought about wearing the belt too. I should do that when I'll see my mom next time :D

Christina said...

Ok first of all you have really inspired me with this outfit because I have a very similar top which I would love to wear in the winter but I never thought of wearing it with a black turtleneck. 2nd. I am on the search for the perfect brown boots. The ones I like are all super expensive. So if you find anything good, do share. I am watching the Bachelor right now. Yay.

Rebecca said...

Those boots are gorgeous. I love J. Crew, and I wish I could afford to shop there more often.

Anonymous said...

I'v actually been coveting boots similar to these at "Hello Monekyface" for awhile now and they're only a fraction of the cost at Blue Fly.

http://www.bluefly.com/Ciao-Bella-two-tone-leather-'Tori'-side-zip-riding-boot/cat20452/306866703/detail.fly?referer=ca_froogle&cm_mmc=ca_froogle-_-na-_-womens_shoes-_-306866703&PROMO=promo970009&mr:trackingCode=95D0A455-01BD-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Christina said...

Umm just bought the boots on piperlime. Thank you!

Unknown said...

@Mandy - Yep, there is always next time :) Thank goodness! And so glad that we are learning the same lessons :)

@stylegenerator - Remix those short-sleeve shirts for all they're worth!! :) You're already a pro at remixing!

@Rebecca - I know, an unlimited budget for J.Crew would be a dream come true, wouldn't it? *sigh*

@Emily - I instantly clicked the link and if I was a size 6 I would have bought those boots on the spot...oh the sadness that is in my heart right now!! :)

@Christina - YAY!! I can't wait to see what they look like on you!

Lauren Setterberg said...

Hey girl! Just found your blog, you're too cute! x

amber lynn said...

i love your ruffle top!! i think its such a great style :)

. said...

Lauren, I thought we were friends. WHY are you tempting me with way too cute $30 boots in a color I don't own?? WHY?

Ok I guess also your new good mentality is also a form of peer pressure so I'm just going to listen to your wise self and refrain. :) ALSO: the ruffle top is AMAZING! Definitely a world of remix potential right there.

Linley said...

looove your ruffle shirt with the belt - and the boots!

also.. those boots you posted a picture of are fabulous!

these are (somewhat) similar and although they are regular priced online, i was in a BR and they were on sale for %50 off! thought i would share!!

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=29096&vid=1&pid=779388&scid=779388012

C said...

Damn. Those ARE cute boots! But I love the cognac ones you're wearing in this post, too! And belting the ruffled top is such a great touch.

Linley said...

looove your ruffle shirt with the belt - and the boots!

also.. those boots you posted a picture of are fabulous!

these are (somewhat) similar and although they are regular priced online, i was in a BR and they were on sale for %50 off! thought i would share!!

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=29096&vid=1&pid=779388&scid=779388012

Lauren said...

If you only knew how much time I spent today looking for these...I discovered that Hunt Boots, as in foxhunting boots for men, have the "look" of these dream boots :)

And now we also know why the girl was shopping the regular priced J.Crew items at Short Pump Town Center :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style