January 21, 2011

Monochromatic Look - Neutral Tones






I decided to play around with neutral tones today and create an entire outfit out of neutral items in my closet.  I got the idea from an old J.Crew catalog that I had saved and was flipping through the other day and once I saw it, I started thinking what items in my closet would work for that look.  Thankfully, as in yesterday's miracle, this look came together as I hoped it would.  The only thing non-neutral-y is the belt, which I added to give some waist definition - otherwise I would have looked like one big marshmallow.  Which I probably do anyway.  Now I'm just a marshmallow with a burnt tinge to it.

There's also a lot of texture play going on - the pants are some kind of velveteen blend, the tank is a chiffon/cottony blend, and the lightweight sweater is cottony/linen.  I thought about going with just plain khakis this morning but I'm glad I didn't.  I also was surprised to see how much of a creamy pink the lightweight sweater is against all the other neutrals.  And the necklace was sheer luck - I wasn't sure what accessories I was going to wear when it suddenly hit me to use it. Yay for inspiration!

I can't believe that today is Friday by the way.  Somehow this week managed to both drag on for entirety and end at light speed.  Same thing with this month - I cannot believe that it is already January 21st!!  Wasn't it just the New Year yesterday??  I hate these time warps that I seem to continually get in - it really throws me for a loop.  Anyway, I'm going to be spending this weekend planning for the winter edition of the 30 for 30 challenge!  Yes, I am doing it again and am nervous about doing it, but not as nervous as I was the first time.  When Kendi first posted about doing the 30 for 30 again, I thought about skipping it, but then I just finished reading this book about art and the importance of practicing it.  My major creative outlet these days is in figuring out my style, and I learned so much about "style" the first time, I decided that I needed to practice it again to continue to hone it.  I am super-nervous about trying to do so during February in Virginia but am just going to hope that I will make it through somehow :).  I have to at least try :)!

Let me know if you are going to be doing the 30 for 30, winter edition! I would love to follow and encourage you along!!

And coming next week - a farewell tour to my closet (and shoes *sob* I'm already missing them - that is the part I hate the most about the 30 for 30!)

Chiffon Tank, Cotton Sweater, Velveteen Pants, Necklace - J.Crew (they should give me a sponsorship, I swear)
Shoes - Tahari via DSW
Belt - H&M

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mission accomplished, you look good in a natural tones, but I would love more colour here and there. Maybe a slightly bigger belt.
30 for 30 again? So soon? Unfortunately I'm not going to participate. February-June are the busiest months at work, so if I'd do the challenge now, I wouldn't finish till probably April, or even May :D That's just way way way too long.

Sarah said...

Fabulous look. I agree with the above person that there needs to be just a little color to play off the white, but I do really like this look. The nuetral colors are fabulous!

thequeenofwanderlust.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

@stylegenerator - I had a lot of trouble with the belt, and because I had typically left myself with little time to get dressed, didn't have time to play around with the different ones that I have, but I think you're right because I did almost go with a slightly thicker one, but then decided, "eh, good enough" :)

@Sarah - Thanks so much!

Mandy said...

I really like this outfit, and the belt definitely brings it all together. I love being able to use a look as inspiration and find stuff in my closet to bring it to life! I really love the necklace too!

. said...

Honestly, I think there is nothing more chic than all-white and this outfit proves it! JCrew is seriously slacking on that sponsorship..

I gotta start thinking in the 30for30 mindset now too! Can't believe we're jumping in again so soon :)

Stacey Kay said...

I LOVE your necklace!
xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
www.GoodwillHuntingg.com
Women’s Fashion Examiner-Cleveland

Katie Aman said...

I love your necklace! This outfit looks fab on you-love all white in winter :)

Linley said...

i am loving this all white ensemble! it looks amazing all together and on you!! great look!

Christina said...

Yay! I am so glad you are also doing 30 for 30. We can tough it out together! Something about doing it with a bunch of other bloggers makes it seem worth doing. I love this outfit by the way. I think he excuted it perfectly. What I love is how you can really focus in on the different textures because all of the colors are the same. That is what your eyes are drawn to and that blouse has great texture.

Katie Aman said...

I love your necklace! This outfit looks fab on you-love all white in winter :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style