June 23, 2010

Last Day of Limited Wardrobe, hooray!

While I love getting away from my apartment from time to time to housesit in gorgeous places, like the one I left today, I miss my closet and drawers stuffed full with my wardrobe and its extensiveness.  Usually when I housesit I have ended up schlupping what seems to be half of my wardrobe with me just so that I can have as many options with what to wear as when I am at home.  Because see, I am not a planner.  I wish I had the capability of planning a week's worth of outfits, but truth be told, an outfit comes to me either through the inspiration of reading some fashion magazines or by looking at different pieces in my closet as a whole and thinking "Let's try that with that".  Throw on some accessories and makeup, look in the mirror, and hopefully what I've put together passes the test.  If not, it's a frantic search of "pull and throw on" until something works.

But when I'm away from all of my options I don't have this luxury.  And since I didn't feel like schlupping my entire wardrobe with me for a few days, I limited myself to a few tops, bottoms, and dresses. I luckily threw in some belts and other accessories and shoes, and voila, I had my limited wardrobe.  And while I didn't LOVE being away from my entire wardrobe, I did like the opportunity to stretch myself a little bit and work on mixing and styling the pieces I did have in different ways.  There are lots of awesome bloggers who seem to do this on a regular basis and it's very inspiring - just a few are Kasmira at What I Wore Today who did a 5 for 5 challenge, Kendi at Kendi Everyday who did a 30 for 30 challenge, and the girls at Academichic! What Would a Nerd Wear is currently styling Birkenstocks for the foreseeable future due to a broken toe - and man, she rocks them!

Like I mentioned in yesterday's post, I had to save this dress for today due to a memorial service that I was attending later that day.  I decided to pair it with the mint green ruffle cardigan and belt it all.  Wedges and a sparkly elephant (isn't he cute?:)) complete the outfit.  This outfit too has to be stretched into the evening hours for yet another baseball game in yet another Africa hot day here in the lovely MidAtlantic.


Cardigan, Belt - J.Crew
Dress - Banana Republic
Wedges - Bandolino via TJMaxx
Elephant - Forever21

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style