June 30, 2010

In Which I Channel a Sunset for Inspiration


Last night as I was driving home from work, I witnessed one of the more spectacular sunsets that I have seen in a while.  It was gorgeous.  So much so, that I even extended my drive home by a couple of minutes and miles to detour and chase after the sunset, reveling in its beauty (while also staying on the road).

As I marveled at it and the beauty before my eyes, so many thoughts ran through my head.  One thought was how the shades of pink and blue running across the expanse of white clouds reminded me of Sleeping Beauty and the fight the faeries have over Aurora's dress - "Pink!" "Blue!" (Yes, I know, I am really stuck in my childhood).

The other thought that came to me was how those shades would make for a great outfit - and fittingly enough, I knew I had the right pieces to put it together at home.  And when said pieces were put on this morning, surprise!! It worked.  I really love this outfit.

Now to give you fair warning - lots of pictures in this post.  I kind of went crazy.  I started to take my normal amount of photos in front of my house this morning, but then two things happened - a)the wind blew my camera over and b)my camera's battery died.  So I decided on a whim to have an impromptu picnic today and found the perfect spot.  And thanks to all the style blogs that I have been following, I saw potential in a lot of my surroundings for a good photo.  However I have to say, I think I may need to get a tripod at some point if I keep this blog going.

Look at that curly hair.  Tomorrow I have a hair appointment (YAY!).  They are my favorite days - I love getting my hairs done up.

I liked this shot because you get a glimpse of the accessories and how well they all worked today - beautiful blue ring, pink flower, fake pearls with pink ribbon, faint pink chandelier earrings...

Hehehe - I love this last shot.  Come on - if you have a flower on your shoulder, you need to pretend like you're smelling it! :)

Again, I really like this outfit.  To me, it's the perfect representation of my current aesthetic - building upon my past tastes and present style.  I love this skirt and have worn it ad naseum, but in the past, never ever would there have been a belt in the picture.  But if this outfit wasn't belted it wouldn't look anything like it does.  And I love that.  I love that I can take the inspirations I have come across through this medium and marry it to the aesthetics of my past.

White Shirt - Gap
Ruffle Tank - J.Crew
Skirt - Banana Republic
Belt, Shoes, Flower Pin - UrbanOutfitters

PS - Kendi is having another 30 for 30 challenge.  I'm thisclose to jumping in and taking part.  It scares me to think of purposefully limiting my wardrobe for a month, but that also makes me think that I should give it a shot and see if I can remix 30 pieces (including shoes, oh the horror) for a month.  My problem though is that Young Life camp is right smack in the middle of it, meaning I would have to take that week off from the challenge.  What do you think? Should I try it? I don't know if I'm that creative!

4 comments:

Rebekah O'Dell Photography said...

OMG, you are totally channeling Kendi in these! Love them.

LTS said...

you definitely are! i love that wall you found. and yes, the second i read that she was doing another 30 for 30, i knew you'd want to join. i say go for it!

Elaine said...

I totally loooove this outfit on you! The patterned skirt, the white shirt with the pink flower, the pink flats... Too cute!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Unknown said...

Thanks so much guys!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disqus for Small Time Style